The author fervently wishes his listeners a few uncomfortable moments...
An occasional series of readings of ghost stories by the writer of the Mapp and Lucia novels.
You can download or listen to individual stories on this page, or subscribe to the podcasts using the links below.
- Naboth's Vineyard – Something has come in to the house. Come in out of the rain...
- “And the Dead Spake…” – “Surely this is the strangest manner of song ever yet heard on the earth, this melody from the brain of the dead…”
- The Cat – It is not only the dead who haunt the living.
- The Man Who Went Too Far – “I can't go back now. I wouldn't if I could; not a step would I retrace…”
- Negotium Perambulans (live) – Recorded in front of an audience at E F Benson’s home, Lamb House in Rye.
- Negotium Perambulans – “One of the things invisible, of the dark powers, leaped into light, and I saw it with my eyes…”
- The Other Bed – “I knew I was not alone in the room. There was something there, something silent as yet, and as yet invisible. But it was there.”
- Caterpillars – “I think that before I opened the pill-box I expected something of the sort which I found in it.”
- The Face – “A dream hasn’t anything real about it, has it? It doesn’t mean anything?”
- At the Farmhouse – “The thing seemed scarcely human at all; it was a monster from which he had delivered himself…”
- Between the Lights – “In the paralysis of that fear I tried to scream, but not a sound could I utter.”
- The Room in the Tower – “Jack will show you your room. I have given you… the room in the tower…”
- Monkeys – “A-pen-ara curses any who desecrates or meddles with her bones…”
Other podcasts from Corvidae
Beasts and Super-Beasts
The Chronicles of Clovis
The Man Who Went Too Far features sound recordings by reinsamba and RHumphries from freesound.org.